Posted by Newson 12/16/2011 at 4:50 PM
It’s end-of-year listmaking time—we probably don’t need to remind you—and everyone is feeling effusive, even the artists themselves who occasionally appear on said lists. Billboard recently polled a butcher’s dozen (that’s 11) of popular musicians to find out what their favorite albums of the year were, and some of the results were interesting, if not down right shocking. Among the less-anticipatable results:
- Joe Jonas loves Frank Ocean’s Nostalgia, Ultra
- One of the guys from Maroon 5 loves Tyler, the Creator’s Goblin
- Sara Bareilles is “not normally someone who is a huge fan of the shoe-gazing, synth-driven power pop,” but she loved M83′s Hurry Up We’re Dreaming just the same.
- The dude singer from Lady Antebellum considers Drake’s Take Care “One of the chillest and most unique rap records I have heard in a long time”
- The Wonder Girls and Penguin Prison kind of suck at differentiating between albums from 2010 (Katy Perry’s Teenage Dream, Maroon 5′s Hands All Over, Twin Shadow’s Forget, The Arcade Fire’s The Suburbs) and 2011
One find that was a less surprising: Everyone loves that damn Adele album. Such diverse artists as Joe Jo, Kelly Clarkson, Demi Lovato, Skrillex (!!!) and Zac Brown all listed 21 as one of their favorites, many putting her at #1. (“For six months, the Adele record was the only record I listened to while I was riding my motorcycle,” Brown said of the multi-million seller. “Now, when I hear songs off of that record, I can almost feel the wind in my face.) In fact, at this point, if we were Adele, we’d be personally offended by any artist who didn’t put us on their list. What’s the deal, Gavin DeGraw?? Sara B, watch your fuckin’ back.
Trackback from your site.